The 10 Quickest Ways to Boost Your Happiness2:01:00 PM
While happiness is defined by the individual, I’ve always felt it foolish to declare that nothing can be learned from observing the happin...
While happiness is defined by the individual, I’ve always felt it
foolish to declare that nothing can be learned from observing the
happiness of others. Examining how to be happy is benefited from observing the patterns of
others, and then taking only what you find useful. Inspiration is the
goal, not rigid rules on being happy.
6. Work towards an important goal. Whether it be cleaning your desk or selling more widgets, when you feel like you’re making progress towards a specific and important goal, you invariably feel better. Just by reading all the way through this article, you’ll have achieved something-so you’ll feel good.
5. Invoke the power of gratitude. Just saying a sincere “Thank you” to people who serve you at a restaurant or bag your groceries can be a quick happiness booster. Another thing you can do to feel grateful is to write down three things you currently feel grateful for in your life. They could be big things-such as your children, or small things such as the great burger you had for lunch. By writing them down, you’ll immediately see that there is a lot of good in your life.
4. Do a 90-second “heart meditation,” which consists of taking a deep breath and imagining exhaling out the center of your chest. Then, close your eyes and imagine someone you love-such as a pet, child, or friend. Remember special times with this being, and bask in the gratitude that they’re in your life. If you want, imagine hugging or holding them in a way that helps you to feel connected to them. This simple method can take you from stressed out to blissed out in about 90 seconds. Research shows that doing this for one minute can reduce your stress hormones for up to five hours.
3. Spend time with a pet or in nature. Pets and trees exist to appreciate each moment. You and I, on the other hand, spend most our time thinking about the past or worrying about the future. If you spend time playing with a pet or enjoying nature, some of their ability to be present in the moment will rub off on you.
2. Play a song that you really enjoy and sing along. Here’s something to try: sing along with I Wanna Hold Your Hand by the Beatles and try to feel depressed. You can’t do it. By singing along with your favorite songs, you can lift yourself out of almost any bad mood.
1. And, finally, the single most effective way to quickly boost your happiness is: do an act of kindness for a stranger or friend. Yep, it’s true. When you do a small act of kindness, you feel better, your friend feels better, and the world has a bit more kindness in it. Even something small like saying what you appreciate about someone will immediately boost your level of well-being-as well as theirs.
So now that you know the top 10 ways to quickly boost your happiness level, do something about it! The world could use a lot more happy people. After all, happy people are less selfish, they’re more productive, they make more money, and they are healthier than the rest of us.
One simple way to boost your happiness this moment is to forward this article to friends and family, telling them you were thinking about them, and happier yourself because of them. What could be better than that? Do it now with the buttons below.