30 Ways To Become a Better Person10:05:00 PM
Nobody’s perfect. Most people are aware of their shortcomings and want to become better person. It w...
Nobody’s perfect. Most people are aware of their shortcomings and want to become better person. It will impact their profession, their relationships, and their body image.
Here are 30 ways to become a better person. If you are perfect, there is no need to read on!
1. Commit yourself to growth (Be Growth-oriented). The more you grow, the better you become. I committed myself to a lifetime of growth back in 2013 (when I discovered my purpose), and I’ve never looked back ever since.
2. Work on your negative traits. Are there any traits you dislike about yourself? Some traits which I didn’t like about myself in the past include being self-centered, arrogance, selfishness, critical, harshness, hardness, etc. Identify them, then work on them one at a go. It can be challenging to try to overhaul your character at one go. On the other hand, if you work on addressing 1 negative trait at a time, it’s a lot more manageable and achievable.
3. Identify your ideal persona. What’s your ideal self like? Picture him/her in your mind, then write down all the traits of your ideal persona. Then, start living true to your ideal self.
4. Find a role model. Having a role model gives us a concrete image of who we want to become. I see role models in people like Ellen Degeneres (for her genuineness and compassion toward others), Tyra Banks (for not being afraid to stand up for what she believes in, and inspiring women to do the same), Ivanka Trump (for her beauty, intellect and grace – representing the modern day woman), Oprah (for being a power mover in the world of self-help), among others. Who is/are your role model(s), and what do you like about them?
5. Be a role model. The best way to be a better person is to be a role model to others. How can you be an inspirational guide to others? Live by example. In being a role model, remember it’s not about making yourself into someone you’re not. It’s about living true to your ideal self.
6. Be a better child to your parents. You only have 2 parents in your life, so appreciate the time you have with them. If your relationship with your parents is non-ideal, it doesn’t mean that everything ends here. I used to have a very poor relationship with my parents, until I achieved resolution recently.
7. Be a better friend to your friends. I used to be disappointed at how some of my friends aren’t always there for me when I need them, then I realized that I should think about how I can be a better friend to my friends first before making such expectations of others. Likewise for you, think: How can you be a better friend to your friends?
8. Be a better sibling, if you have siblings. I’ve several friends who are the only-child, and they frequently talk about how they wish they had a brother or sister. If you’re lucky enough to have brother(s) and sister(s), treasure them. Spend more time with them; Show them care and concern; Look out for them if you need to.
9. Be a better partner, if you’re attached. If you’ve a girlfriend/wife or boyfriend/husband, think about how you can be a better partner to him/her. When you’re in a relationship, it’s easy to make demands and expectations about what your partner should do/be, but it’s difficult to take ownership for the things we aren’t doing/being ourselves. Commit yourself to being a better partner, and release your expectations of your partner. Both of you will be happier that way.
10. Be a better parent, if you have children. Many parents have told me that having a child one of the most amazing things that has ever happened to them. If you have a child(ren), think about how you can be a better parent, without impeding on the child’s growth. Raising a child can be challenging especially as he/she enters adolescence years, but that’s also part of the joy of being a parent.
11. Be a better employee in your company (if you work for someone). Often times, I hear people complain about how their companies are not giving them enough benefits/wages/support/etc. While this may be true, think about how you can be a better employee instead. Check if there’s anything more you can do for your manager. See if there are any new projects you can take on. See how you can improve your current performance.
12. Be a better member of your community. What communities are you a part of? Say, interest groups? Recreational clubs? How can you be a more active part of the communities?
13. Be Accepting of differences – be it different people, different thinking, different lifestyles, different cultures. For they add variety and color into our lives. If everyone is the same, life will be bland – monotonous, even.
14. Pay for the person behind you at the drive thru. Whether it be a coffee or a whole meal. Make sure to stay anonymous and relay a friendly message to the person like “Have a nice day!” or “Spread kindness and pay it forward”.
15. Be compassionate for a person’s situation next time he or she is rude or inconsiderate to you, instead of getting defensive. They might be having a bad day or need to hear a kind word. This doesn’t mean to be a doormat, but to consider what someone may be going through and giving them a pass.
16. Lend an elderly person a hand, if you see them struggle to reach something in the grocery store or while doing another activity.
17. Cheer up a loved one by giving them an unexpected gift. You don’t need to spend a lot; it’s the thought that counts.
18. Call someone who you haven’t talked to in awhile and let them know that you’ve been thinking about them and that you are sorry you’ve been out of touch.
19. Help a family in financial need by cooking them a meal, bringing them groceries, giving them clothing, or even money. Do it in a way that makes them feel good about your gift.
20. Let someone into traffic who looks like they are in a rush. Remember though to be very cautious especially if either of your vision is impaired.
21. Travel. Traveling broadens perspectives and widens horizons. Since June 2011, I’ve been touring the world, starting with Europe and I’m gaining so many insights about different cultures that it’s amazing. The trip has definitely enriched my perspective on the world.
22. Be Vigilant. While the world is a safe place by and large, keep a watch out for possible dangers, especially when you’re in a foreign place. Keep a look out for suspicious people. Stay clear of potentially dangerous spots. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
23. Be Unattached. For all things are transient in life. This doesn’t mean you become jaded and an emotionless being. What this means is you relish in every moment of your life, every situation you’re in, every person you’re with, as it is, without clinging on to it when it has passed. For we live in the present, not the past or future.
24. Leave a newspaper, magazine or even a book at a coffee house once you’ve read it for the next person. You can add a note that says you hope they will enjoy it as much as you did.
25. Talk and listen regularly to your business language. Always keep its record. Read, analyze and understand your company’s financial statements. Also conduct regular financial audits, with the help of auditors.
26. Have a healthier body. Exercise regularly, maintain a balanced diet, and take enough rest. Be a healthier businessman!
27. Work out right after you wake up, every morning.You don't need to head straight to the gym. Just roll out of bed, do 50 pushups, 50 sit-ups, 100 jumping jacks and as many pull-ups as you can muster. If you can't handle that much, then do as much as you can and work your way up.
28. Dress to impress.You don't have to spend a fortune on clothing, but make sure you look good in what you wear. Looking good doesn't cost as much as you think.
29. Stay up-to-date with world affairs.If you're going to live and function in this world, then you better understand it as well as you can. Many of the decisions we make every day have a visible effect on the other side of the world.
30. Take time off to let your mind rest.Go for walks. Meditate. Do Yoga. Do whatever it is that you have to do to allow your mind to focus on the present moment and nothing else. We live in a hectic world, and finding true peace of mind is hard to come by.