Be Calm Instead from Stress10:18:00 AM
Stress – It’s what most of us have too much of. Coping with day to day tasks and problems can sometimes be overwhelming – especially during...
Stress – It’s what most of us have too much of. Coping with day to day
tasks and problems can sometimes be overwhelming – especially during
high school football playoffs and the holiday season
Being calm, relaxed and well rested helps almost everyone be less stressed.
What is Stress?Stress is your body's way of responding to any kind of demand. It can be caused by both good and bad experiences. When people feel stressed by something going on around them, their bodies react by releasing chemicals into the blood.
what causes stress?
- Your health, especially if you have a chronic illness such as heart disease, diabetes, or arthritis
- Emotional problems, such as anger you can't express, depression, grief, guilt, or low self-esteem
- Your relationships, such as having problems with your relationships or feeling a lack of friendships or support in your life
- Major life changes, such as dealing with the death of a parent or spouse, losing your job, getting married, or moving to a new city
- Stress in your family, such as having a child, teen, or other family member who is under stress, or being a caregiver to a family member who is elderly or who has health problems
- Conflicts with your beliefs and values. For example, you may value family life, but you may not be able to spend as much time with your family as you want.
How to get rid of stressI like to look at basic nutrition to help with stress because I find that most people are deficient in basic nutrients. Most notably, B vitamins and magnesium.
Look at the following signs of B-vitamin deficiency:
Worry, anxiety, insecurity, or highly emotional state.
Trouble with concentration.
Wake up at night and can’t get back to sleep.
Moody or depressed.
Always tense, can’t relax.
Mind races or excessive worry.
Stress and lifestyle choices make us burn B-vitamins. I find that supplementing small doses of the best quality B-vitamins in the correct ratios makes most people feel better to the point that they are happier, less stressed and sleeping well.
Magnesium is the next great stress buster – most people are deficient in it as well as it is hard to get in the typical diet – especially this time of year.
Magnesium deficiency signs include:
Nervousness and anxiety
Inability to sleep
The other place to look if stress is a chronic issue is the adrenal glands. Symptoms of adrenal imbalance are:
Tendency to anger
Supplements that feed the adrenal glands will help balance stress.
These are the most common issues that “underly” stress. I recommend addressing a deficiency or underlying cause to promote long-lasting health, rather than just fixing a symptom.
However, if you just stressed and need to fix it now, there are some great products available. Here are my favorites: Perfect Calm, a great multi-vitamin that works; Total Calm, awesome stuff; Phenitropic, a GABA precursor; Total Calm Advanced; ASF – stands for anti-stress factors; and Calming Essence – homeopathic flower essences that work well and are kid safe.